The Rainbow Community Council (RCC) is pleased to present the findings of a survey of local candidates for the 2019 federal election. A working group surveyed the candidates, who were asked 10 questions on various issues, as identified by RCC members.
We encourage you to review the candidate responses, reach out to candidates in your riding and, most importantly, get out to vote on Monday, October 21st!
For more information about voting, visit the Elections Canada webpage.
- What do you believe are the most critical issues for the local 2SLGBTQIA+ community? If elected, how would you work with the local community to address these issues?
- What steps do you take to vet campaign donations to ensure that you are not funded by groups or organizations with anti-2SLGBTQIA+ rhetoric or goal
- What is your party’s history in voting for or against same-sex marriage in Canada?
- If elected, how would you represent your party’s stance on retaining same-sex marriage rights?
- What is your party’s history in supporting Bill C-16?
- If elected, how would you support federal protections for the trans community in Canada?
- Do you support the current eligibility criterion for Men who have Sex with Men (MSM) to donate blood to Canadian Blood Services? If not, what proposals would you suggest to change the eligibility for MSM to donate blood?
- How would you as an elected official address the ongoing issues of homelessness and addiction, especially as they disproportionately affect members of the 2SLGBTIA+ community?
- What is your party’s stance on accepting refugees who are 2SLGBTQIA+?
- If elected, how would you encourage and protect the asylum rights of refugees based on their 2SLGBTQIA+ identities?
- As an elected official, how would you support non-binary Canadians in changing their gender markers on their government identification?
- How should incarcerated Two-Spirit and trans individuals be housed to serve their time in federal prisons in order to maintain safety and protection of all prisoners?
- What are your thoughts on the recently created cabinet position of LGBTQ2 Secretariat?