Special Job Requirements
This is a virtual position. Volunteer will be required to work remotely using their own resources, with regular meetings with supervisors scheduled via Zoom, Skype or similar video-conferencing software.
Flexible work hours will be required, as meetings with supervisors will generally occur in early evenings (after 5:00 pm EDT).
The Waterloo Region Rainbow Coalition (WRRC) is a volunteer-based community association that acts as a central hub for the local Rainbow community. WRRC brings together various stakeholders from across the Region. Our emphasis is on building partnerships and working collaboratively to meet the needs of the Rainbow community.
In response to the COVID19 pandemic, WRRC is looking for a volunteer to assist with social media engagement with members of the LGBTQ+ community and organization of virtual social events to provide safe space for members of the community to connect.
This is a volunteer position that can be either a full-time or part-time role. This position is unpaid, though it is hoped that funds may be able to be raised to provide successful candidates a stipend for their work. WRRC prefers candidates who can start as soon as possible.
WRRC is willing to work with volunteers to add work tasks should they wish to have the position count as a co-operative education work term.
The Digital Media and Virtual Events Coordinator will be required to:
- Update, implement, document and manage our social media strategy
- Define most important social media KPIs
- Work with volunteers to ensure content is informative and appealing
- Manage and oversee social media content
- Measure the success of every social media campaign
- Keep abreast of the latest social media best practices and
- Communicate with local LGBTQ+ organizations and
influencers via social media to create a strong network
- Assist with consultations and manage communications with diverse stakeholders to identify community needs and advertise events
- Organize and coordinate daily or weekly virtual events
targeted at different segments of the LGBTQ+ community
- Manage all event set-up, tear down and follow-up processes
- Organize events on minimal to no budget
- Contact and schedule speakers
- Ensure all events maintain a safe space for members of the LGBTQ+ community
- Assess an event’s overall success and submit findings.
- Able to work independently and manage projects and events with minimal supervision
- Strong computer application skills, particularly in Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher and Excel
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including proficiency with written and spoken English
- Ability to rely on and/or incorporate analytics into projects and decision-making
- Evidence of appropriate interpersonal skills, a strong sense of professionalism and ability to be accountable for tasks
- Strong organizational and document management skills, an ability to manage time efficiently and keen attention to detail
- Experience working with confidential information
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and handle multiple responsibilities
- Strong customer service and support experience
- Comfortable working independently, as well as within a team
- Experience managing social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Hootsuite
- Previous event hosting experience
- Preference for experience hosting events using Zoom and MeetUp platforms
- Demonstrated knowledge and commitment to the LGBTQ+
Please send all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line: “Application for Digital Media and Virtual Events Coordinator”.
Customized cover letters outlining why individuals are interested in this volunteer position are required.
Interviews will begin once a sufficient pool of applications from qualified candidates are received and will continue until the position is filled. Given limited resources, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.